As someone who is conscious about health it is important to choose a vision center carefully. Unfortunately, not many people are unaware that there are different kinds of eye doctors and they all treat different conditions. This article will look at the different kinds of eye doctors and what they treat as well as how to choose the right one.
This one has a Doctor of Optometry degree and he mainly focuses on correcting vision and also on eye health. There are some who are authorized to give medical prescriptions but in many states they are not. Their treatment powers are limited they cannot, for example, perform an eye MRI; they have to refer patients either to their own personal doctors or an ophthalmologist.
These are licensed medical doctors and on top of dealing with vision they can also diagnose and treat diseases. They also prescribe medication and are authorized to do eye surgery. They do 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, a minimum of 1 year internship and they have to do a 3 year residency.
Although many people assume that an optician is an eye doctor he is not. He is the guy who gives you your prescription glasses or contact lenses once you get a prescription from an optometrist or an ophthalmologist.
So which is the best eye doctor to see? It depends on what problem you have if it is something serious that needs treatment then an ophthalmologist is the right call. When you are looking for a vision center it is best to find one that has all 3 so that you can get all your eye care in one place.
How do you choose a vision center?
- You should choose a vision center as carefully as you choose your doctor the professionals there will be taking care of your delicate eyes. Here is what you should be looking for:
- You want to find a reputable vision center. Look for reviews what do others think of the care that they have received there? Were their problems taken care of? Did they have a good experience there? Just because an ophthalmologist or optometrist is good at what he does doesnt mean that he had a fitting bedside manner.
- Availability is extremely important if you are like most people you dont have time to go to doctors in the middle of the day because you are busy. You should be looking for a vision center that opens early and closes late and that can take you on weekends and holidays.
- Many people dont get eye exams on time because they choose a vision center that is too far away if you have to go all the way across town for an eye exam you will be tempted to keep putting it off. You should be looking for an eye doctor who is either close to your home or your office.
- If you have kids it is very important that you have their eyes examined thoroughly every couple of years 25% of all children suffer eye problems. You should be looking for an ophthalmologist or optometrist who has experience working with children.
- If you suffer a particular disease such as macular degeneration you should be looking for a doctor who is an expert in handling specific conditions not all of them can specialize.
- Cost also matters there are some vision centers that are expensive simply because they cater to high end clientele. You should also not see one because they are cheap they may be that way because they cut corners. Look instead for professionals that you can afford who have a reputation for high quality work.
These tips should help you find the best vision center.